A signature dish of Hungary. This hearty chicken dish includes ingredients that are so common in our gastronomy: chicken, paprika, and sour cream. Freshly made noodles on the side, makes it a perfect, tasty lunch or dinner.
- 3-4 tablespoons vegetable oil or lard
- 2 medium onion (finely chopped)
- 1 (3 1/2-pound) chicken (cut up)
- 1 bell pepper (seeded, chopped, green)
- 1 large tomato ( chopped)
- 1 tablespoon Hungarian paprika (sweet or hot)
- Salt to taste
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 cup sour cream
- Piros Arany (Hungarian paprika cream)
- Heat oil/lard in a large skillet with a lid. Add chopped onion and sauté over low heat until translucent.
- Take the skillet off the fire, and mix the paprika into the onion. be careful not to burn it! Add chicken pieces and brown lightly on both sides. Add green pepper, tomato. Here you can add the gulyás cream or paprika paste, if you have it.
- Season to taste with salt and stir in water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and cook 35 minutes or until chicken is tender .
- Remove chicken to a heated platter and keep warm by loosely tenting with aluminum foil.
- In a small bowl, whisk together sour cream with flour. Temper the sour cream mixture with some of the pan juices. Return tempered sour cream mixture to pan and simmer until juices are thickened. Return chicken to pan to rewarm.
- Portion into heated bowls or plates, and serve with nokedli, or another type of noodle.
Note: For a family-style presentation, arrange the paprikash atop a platter of noodles. Cucumber salad on the side makes the perfect combination.